Novel Intentions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good Omens

2 posters

Go down

Good Omens  Empty Good Omens

Post by Admin Sun May 28, 2017 10:19 pm

At the moment I am rereading Good Omens by Terry Pratchett. I first picked up this book in my teens and it was my introduction to Terry Pratchett through my friends. I loved the pace and the tone, the irreverent truths he slotted in between mundane observations of anything but mundane events. Between then and now I hadn't picked the book up but my eldest girl has decided that it's time to take a look at Pratchett so I thought we might start here. Has anyone else read it? What do you think?

Admin
Admin

https://novelintentions.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Good Omens  Empty Re: Good Omens

Post by Bethan H Tue May 30, 2017 10:37 pm

Good plan.
Biggest boy (9) read The Carpet People recently. Johnny and the Bomb and Johnny and the Dead soon, I should think. My other half absolutely loves Pratchett and has heaps of them. My favourite Pratchett moment is actually not a comical one, but the death of Granny Weatherwax which I found impossibly (and surprisingly) moving, maybe because of the contrast, and also because of how sensitively it was done. It was mentioned in that brilliant BBC tribute to TP 'Back in Black'. Oddly though, I didn't finish The Shepherd's Crown (I think Gulliver might have got in the way). It is in the pile. Smile

Bethan H

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed May 31, 2017 12:14 am

Which book did Granny Weatherwax die in? We have sat them down to watch the cartoon adaptions of The Colour of Magic, The Hogfather and Going Postal. So far, she has struggled to read his work in her head but if she reads it out loud or someone else does she's in stitches. What did he think of The Carpet People?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bethan H Wed May 31, 2017 7:26 pm

Just conferred with the 9 year old. He preferred Trucks, Diggers and Wings, though he says they were a bit scary. I must admit that I haven't read them - he reads too fast for me to vet everything these days! The 7 year old piped up that he liked Wee Free Men more than any of the others, and I'm inclined to agree Smile
At the risk of a spoiler, Granny Weatherwax died in The Shepherd's Crown.
Animated versions sound like a good idea - hadn't tried them yet. Thanks for the recommendation.

Bethan H

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:14 am

Willow picks hers up at the library so it's usually the first time I've seen them. Book section for the children is set up. I will take the recommendation I think we might even have it here.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum