Novel Intentions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sense of an Ending

2 posters

Go down

The Sense of an Ending Empty The Sense of an Ending

Post by Bethan H Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:47 pm

Hello,
I have re-read Julian Barnes The Sense of and Ending, and would propose it as a worthwhile read.
It was the Booker winner in 2011, and I read it at the time, but the intervening years had changed my memory of it. That in itself I found interesting, since the premise is related.
It is in two halves, the first an account of a man's youth in the 1960s, during which he have a number of intense relationships, two of which in particular affected his whole life. The second half involves him in his 60s, revisiting and reappraisal of those relationships and incidents relating to them after receiving a document. Having part-remembered the ending, it was interesting re-reading he book with that in mind.
I'm not quite sure whether the narrator is unreliable, or just naiive, but the style is engaging, and the reader is compelled to find out the truth, just as the protagonist is. The depiction of the intense Larkin-obsessed (and somewhat priapic) young man is worth the read in itself.
Again it is short, at ~150 pages.
P.S. - I remember my Mum once being accused of wanting 'an MA in short books', and I may be the same, to an extent Smile

Bethan H

Back to top Go down

The Sense of an Ending Empty Re: The Sense of an Ending

Post by AngelaT Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:48 pm

Hi Bethan

I read this a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. I cannot quite remember all the details but it is an effective treatment of how our perceptions can change over time. One I'd also recommend which I can't always say about Booker winners although there are a few I've loved.

AngelaT

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum